strawberry cream pie.

2.21.2012

When you're 19, your supply of grandparents tends to be few. I have two grandma's, one that lives too far away to make pie for. Luckily when I married McKay, he has both full sets. Grandpa loves pie. I've never made pie because I don't particularly enjoy it unless it is some sort of national holiday.

So, today,

I made pie.

& I was worried. The glaze was a little bit runny & my crust cracked. I didn't want to give Grandpa a faulty pie. We tried it. It was delicious. I'll be making a double batch next time. One for our tiny family & one for grandpa.

*recipe found here.

you'll need:

1 9-inch pie crust (Feel free to purchase a frozen one or make one. I'll include the recipe I used below.)
1 recipe cream filling (below)
3 cups fresh strawberries
½ cup water 
¼ cup sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch

Pre-bake pie crust using pie weights or dried beans. Let cool. Fill with chilled Cream Filling. Quarter two and a half cups of the strawberries, place in large bowl. Crush remaining half cup berries (I used a potato masher); add water; cook 2 minutes. Mix sugar and cornstarch: gradually stir into berry sauce. Cook over low heat, and stir until thick. Cool slightly; pour over bowl of quartered strawberries, mix well. Arrange over cream filling. Keep refrigerated until served.

Cream Filling

½ cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons enriched flour
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups heavy cream
1 slightly beaten egg
½ cup sour cream

Mix first 4 ingredients. Gradually stir in cream. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil; reduce heat and stir until thick. Stir a little of the hot mixture into egg; return to remaining hot mixture. Bring just to boiling, stirring constantly. Cool, then chill. Beat well; fold in sour cream. 
Bri's Pie Crust: 
(This is dirty work. Use your hands to combine all ingredients.)
You'll need:
3 cup flour
1 1/4 crisco (butter crisco makes everything taste better.)
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon vinegar

5 tablespoon cold, cold water.

Combine flour, crisco and salt. It will make a crumbly dough. Set aside. In a small bowl beat together egg, vinegar & cold water. Pour your liquid into your dough & knead until a dough without lumps. *Will make enough for 2 pie crusts.
Bake at 425. Depending on your oven, watch your crust between 5 & 10 minutes until the doughy look is no longer visible.

*My Revisions:
1: Add 2 tablespoons of sugar & 1 teaspoon of vanilla to the cream after folding in the sour cream. It sweetens it up to the perfect level.
2: While making your berry glaze, I wouldn't use that much water. Add as you go. My glaze ended up runny, still delicious but it would have been nice if it would have held together a bit better.
3: I made & ate this pie within 3 hours. It would be better if you let it chill overnight but it's too good to wait that long. 
4: You only need 1 carton of strawberries. I tend to overbuy every time. We have an entire carton leftover.

1 comment :

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |