terrible tuesdays- it could be a thing.

1.15.2013

With all the fluffy topics that float around the blogging world, I'm going to take a breath of fresh air & offend some people.

There is an epidemic that is maiming the young adult world. It's totally skewing the work force & frankly, irritating a massive amount of people.

Rich kid syndrome.

I admire hard working people. It's a noble trait to have. Theoretically, the harder you work the wealthier you will be. Wealthy people don't irritate me. The offspring of the wealthy class who feel like they are entitled to their parents money makes me so angry. Every time I come in contact with an adult who suffers with rich kid syndrome, I want to send them to a poverty-stricken area for the rest of their entitled life.

Maybe, if you suffer from rich kid syndrome, let me in on a secret- why you feel like you, personally, are wealthy? You haven't work an honest day but you are rich, rich, rich. Just because your daddy is rolling in the cash doesn't mean you are entitled to more than shelter, food & clothes until you're 18.

When you turn 18, move. Pay for school. Learn what is like to work & go to school at the same time. Get a second job, if you have to. Maybe, for a day, be responsible for yourself & your own finances.


If you are an adult & still voluntarily depend on your parents cash, learn how to work. Period. I don't care if you don't like it. Establish a work ethic. It doesn't even have to be a great one. Embrace what it feels like to be a regular, working class human being, you entitled, princess.

12 comments :

  1. i absolutely love this post.
    and i agree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha YESSSSS. it angers me as well when people our age do not have jobs of any sort and are living solely off of their parents. what happens when marriage comes along and they have no idea how to even semi support themselves?

    by all means, i'm definitely guilty of living at home. BUT, i justify with the fact that every penny of my paychecks is going towards tuition. no mommy and daddy cash here, my friend.

    i wish other people would work hard and get that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that they're doing something with their life, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i completely agree.
    i feel like this is a large issue in the utah county area. an issue that is much larger than anywhere else. seriously.
    my husband and i worked very hard to get through school without debt.
    my neighbors are those people. they sit at home all day while i'm gone almost 12 hours most days. i just don't get it.
    while my husbands parents do help us out with healthcare (my husband has type 1 diabetes and we don't qualify for good enough healthcare to cover him) we are pretty self reliant. i understand a thing here and there, a gift or a package, helping with insurance if necessary. but i just get people that still live off their parents.
    granted my parents helped me a pay for a few semesters of school, but not for very long. and my schooling i worked for the rest and saved up.
    you are so right.
    i'm going to stop talking about this cause i could go on forever.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think, and I hope, that what really offends you about these situations is the lack of gratitude shown from adult children to their parents.

    One way of looking at this is to consider that wealthy parents have many options regarding how to spend their money. Are there "better" ways than supporting their children by helping them through college? Probably. But there are also many worse ways.

    Is there anything wrong with parents wanting to provide for their children, regardless of age? Further, wouldn't it be rude, and another sign of ingratitude, to refuse the financial gifts of your parents?

    There are many other reasons why the situations which so strongly offend you have merit, including issues of culture and poverty. The poverty-stricken areas you want to send rich kids to are full of families who work around the clock to pay for a child to attend college.

    At the same time, these comments are made within certain contexts, including the assumptions that the child is dedicated to their education, has a part-time job, shows respect/gratitude towards their parents, and maintains the expectation that throughout life they will exercise a responsibility toward the well being of their parents.

    PS. Applause for daring to write a post that some will take as offensive. Opinions definitely make life more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I work at a bank, and you wouldn't believe the people I see. And really, In my life ( not trying to brag or make myself look better or anything) I grew up knowing that if I couldn't pay for it, with my own money, I couldn't have it. My siblings just under me get everything handed to them and I wish I could just shake them and tell them how hard its going to be when they need to finally start doing stuff for themselves.

    Along with other kids. I think it is ridiculous! I had a friend in high school that her parents paid for everything. whenever she wanted it. and now that she's married, she's realizing that she can't run to mommy and daddy whenever you want something.

    I'm glad you stepped out of the fluffy and got down and dirty! :) thanks for the venting haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to work with one of these people. Let's just say when they get to the working world, these new Rich kids with paid-in-full college educations realize that they really don't know what "work" is in the real world. And the entitlement issues continue...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. I don't know you, but I think you are awesome. I mentioned this in my blog post. Hope that's okay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness. I was frustrated about this earlier today. Probably because we're broke most of the time, but also because it's true. Someone needs to say it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this to my husband and we were dying! Let's just say we know a few people who suffer from this. Well said ma lady, well said.

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |