fall cravings

8.29.2013

Apparently, I am into all kinds of bars- minus the alcoholic ones. (HA. I've got the jokes.) I don't apologize for not having regular blog posts because they would all be along the lines of-

I'm happy. I work a lot. I spend my spare time at the gym, snuggling husband or baking.

Anyway,

I am doing everything I can to wait until after labor day to drape our home in fall decor so to curb my decorating hunger, I've been baking with cinnamon, nutmeg, & all of the holiday spices.

If you are familiar with Kneaders, I assume you love their pumpkin bread. This recipe is just like their pumpkin bread with chocolate chip & if you are feeling real crazy, cream cheese frosting.

enjoy.

chocolate chip pumpkin bars
*original recipe

ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbs pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp baking sodab
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup 100% pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips

method
+ preheat oven 350 F. line a 9x13 pan with tinfoil, shiny side facing down. leave an overhang to make bar removal easier. grease the tinfoil.
+  in a bowl, mix flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda & salt. set aside.
+ with a stand mixer (or a hand mixer) cream butter & sugars together on high for three minutes; until light in color & fluffy. beat in egg & vanilla until just combined. beat in pumpkin puree. reduce speed on mixer to low, slowly add dry mixture until just combined. fold in chocolate chips.
+ pour into greased pan, smooth until even. bake until the edges look lightly browned & use the toothpick trick until it comes out clean. (Between 30 to 40 minutes, depending on your oven.)
+let bars cool in pan then remove to cut into squares.

[if you are an icing person, which my husband is but i am not- here is a recipe for a fitting, cream cheese frosting to go atop your pumpkin bar.]

cream cheese frosting
*original recipe

ingredients
4 oz butter, room temperature
4 oz cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract

method
+ cream together butter & cream cheese.
+ slowly add powdered sugar until you achieve your preferred taste. (I used 1 3/4 cups.)
+ whip it, whip it, whip it. I left my kitchenaid on high for 3 or 4 minutes.
+ add vanilla & mix.

I can assure you more pumpkin recipes to come. What is your favorite fall dessert?

1 comment :

  1. Surprisingly delicious pumpkin bars, which we use all year round:

    1 box spice cake mix
    16 oz canned pumpkin
    half a bag of chocolate chips

    375 degrees for 25-30 min in a greased 9X13, I think. Make it 35 min if the toothpick's messy.

    OM NOM NOM NOM. Seriously the moist-est things I've ever had. But the batter's gross so no temptation there. #winwin

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |