a festive treat.

10.27.2013

Everything I know about caramel apples I learned from my mother-in-law (& youtube.) I dipped 60 apples this weekend & I thought I would share some tips & tricks I learned.

1 : If you are wanting a Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory-style apple, you will need to purchase the good stuff. Good caramel, especially. I suggest Peter's Caramel in the 5 lbs. loaf. I'm sure you can purchase it online or if you live in utah valley (or want to make the trip down from Salt Lake) FunFinity in Orem carries it. The price is high ($20) but it is worth it. Side note: the 5 lbs loaf will cover 25 medium sized apples. FunFinity also sells it by the pound which is $6.99, I believe.

2 : Unless you are using hand-picked or organic apples, the likelihood of your apple being covered in wax is high. The caramel will not adhere to the wax so you need to get rid of it. I placed my apples in a bowl & poured boiling water over them for a few minutes then wiped dry. {Edit: for fun, I tried rinsing & drying thoroughly. The caramel didn't slide off of the apples so scrap the boiling step.}

3 : Use chocolate, not melting chips & almond bark. If you are using good caramel, don't mess it up with crap, chocolate flavored wax. 

4 : To avoid your apples sticking to your baking sheet, or whatever you are using to put them on, use a Silpat. If you don't own a silpat, use wax paper & spray it down with baking grease.

5 : You don't need to keep your dipped apples in the fridge, but make sure the caramel is set & the chocolate is dry before moving them.


enjoy

16 comments :

  1. OMG! Those look amazing!!! I think I need to make these for the sisters in my ward! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so beautiful!! They are my mom's favorite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours are the most perfect homemade caramel apples I have ever seen. I am equal parts speechless and jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pictures make me ridiculously hungry. Going to try out your techniques for sure! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh, you are PROFESSIONAL! these are PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this and think I may need to make some soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look so yummy! I am going to have to make some now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my gosh... literally the most beautiful caramel apples I've ever seen in my whole life. Can you just be my life coach? Every time you write about something new, you just... you get me. Keep finding tricks to life and sharing them. They may be my favorite thing on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you take beautiful photographs of food. it's a talent i admire.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What did you use to actually dip them? Pot or crockpot? I would think you would be able to do it in a crocky, but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. these photos are beautiful and making me crave a caramel, chocolate dipped apple. we buy that same caramel too! so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Those are some pretty apples!!
    kayliecphotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where do I get your skillz? But seriously though!

    thewolfepackblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know I'm behind the times here, but these look incredible and are no doubt delicious as well. One of my favorite kinds of caramel apples is the apple pie kind from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. Have you tried those before? Unbelievable. I think it's just cinnamon and sugar on the outside of the caramel and chocolate...you should definitely try that next time!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |